Leaving an abusive relationship - strategies to consider.

2b. A guide to leaving home and calling for help in an emergency

Est. read time: 2 min

Press to call 000  If you are facing a crisis right now call Triple Zero (000).

The priority is your and your children's safety. If you leave the home, in most situations it is best to take your children with you.

If you have time to plan before you leave it is important to create a safety plan which covers the points you need to think about to keep you and your children safe. More information about creating a safety plan can be found at 1d. Making a safety plan.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Family and Domestic Violence can get worse during a crisis.  Women’s refuges and family and domestic violence support services remain open, despite the restrictions in place in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The WA Government has activated the State Emergency Welfare Plan to co-ordinate the provision of welfare services to the community, including for women facing family and domestic violence. Services include emergency accommodation, emergency food provision, emergency clothing and personal needs.   We will update this page with more information as it becomes available.

Women's Refuges


If you need access to a women's refuge you can call any of the following organisations. They have access to vacancy information for all the refuges:

  • Crisis Care (24 hours)
    08 9223 1111 – Metro
    1800 199 008 – Country
  • Women's DV Helpline (24 hours)
    08 9233 1188 – Metro
    1800 007 339 – Country
  • EntryPoint (Mon – Fri 9am – 7pm, Sat 9am – 5pm)
    08 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684

Alternatively, you can contact refuges directly. Contact details can be found at the Referral Guide for Domestic Violence Services Western Australia.

More information about metropolitan and regional refuges can be found at the Women's Council for Domestic and Family Violence Services (WA) website.

Starting Over is a charity to help families with free household goods after leaving a refuge.  You need to be referred to Starting Over by a refuge or government agency, so if you stay in a refuge remember to ask about it.

Important Phone numbers

  • Crisis Care Helpline (24 hours)
    Phone:9223 1111 or 1800 199 008
    As well as providing information on women's refuges vacancies, this telephone service also provides information, advice, support and intervention for people in crises and needing urgent help, including child protection concerns, family and domestic violence and homelessness. Crisis care prioritises child protection concerns
  • Domestic Violence Liaison Officer (WA Police) (24 hours)
    Phone: 131 444
    Provides support to victims of family violence by providing information on relevant laws/community intervention
  • Emergency Services (24 hours) Dial: 000

Things to take with you


For some things to take with you if it is safe to do so, see 1c. Documents you need to take with you when leaving a relationship and 1d. Making a safety plan which contain information on documentation to collect and safety planning. However, if you haven't been able to prepare in advance and have to leave in a hurry, it will be helpful later on if you have these things:

  • An identifying document (such as a passport or driver's licence);
  • Prescription medicines and eye glasses;
  • A change of clothes for you and the children (a quick way to grab these might be to take the dirty laundry basket);
  • Cash and/or credit cards.

But remember safety is the priority in an emergency – don't put yourself in danger to get these things.

Was this article helpful?

Your Toolkit helps women and their families facing financial or other domestic abuse become empowered through increased skills and knowledge.


4 Steps to
Financial Freedom

Thank you to our Supporters

Supported by the Department of Communities

The contents of this website is general in nature and for reference purposes only. It does not constitute financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Specific financial advice about your specific circumstances should always be sought separately before taking any action based on the information we have provided. While we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representation or warranties of any kind about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the information, products or services. Even though we are able to provide links to other website, we have no control over the nature, veracity of content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement.