Get ready for a more empowered, financially confident future. How to decide whether to remain with a abusive partner or choose to leave.

1f. Centrelink online and setting up a myGov account

Est. read time: 5 min

Affected by coronavirus (COVID-19)?

The best option for everyone’s health and safety is to do as much as possible online, or over the phone.  You no longer have to attend a Centrelink office with ID to register, or wait on the phone. You can now prove your identity over the phone and lodge an intent to claim online through MyGov.

If you are new to Centrelink, new streamlined processes have been implemented to register for Centrelink payments online.  Centrelink will then contact you directly to confirm your identity, give you a Customer Reference Number (CRN) and a linking code to set up your access to your Centrelink online account.  The next step is to finalise your claim.  A video describing the process can be viewed on Youtube.

Centrelink services can be accessed online, by phone, or by visiting a service centre. Specialist services (social work and financial information) are now only available online or by phone.

Response to COVID-19:  JobSeeker Payment

The new JobSeeker Payment started on 20 March 2020 and is now the main income support payment if you are between 22 and Age Pension age.  The JobSeeker payment is subject to an income test and is available to:

  • employees stood down or let go;
  • sole traders, self employed, casual workers and contract workers who’s income has been effected as a result of the economic downturn due to the Coronavirus; and
  • those caring for someone who’s affected by the Coronavirus

The following payments will be either stopped or closed to new claims: Newstart Allowance, Sickness Allowance, Wife Pension, Widow B Pension and Bereavement Allowance and be replaced by the JobSeeker payment.

Response to COVID-19:  Support for Individuals and Households

  • Income support for individuals – a temporary Coronavirus Supplement of $550 per fortnight will be paid to new or existing recipients of JobSeeker Payment, Youth Allowance JobSeeker, Parenting Payment, Farm Household Allowance and Special Benefit and some others from 27 April 2020.
  • There are two separate $750 Payments to support households – the so called Economic Stimulus or Economic Support payments – for social security, veteran and other income support recipients. The second payment will not be made to those eligible for the Coronavirus Supplement.
  • If you are eligible for the Coronavirus Supplement or the Economic Support payments, these will automatically be paid to you – there is no need to contact Centrelink

Response to COVID-19:  Changes to Claims and Your Obligations

The government has made changes to information you need to provide, mutual obligation requirements and waiting periods.  Information about these changes can be found here.

Response to COVID-19 :  JobKeeper Payment

Businesses that are significantly impacted by the Coronavirus will be able to access a wage subsidy in the form of the JobKeeper Payment from the Government of $1,500 per fortnight for eligible employee for up to 6 months from 30 March 2020. This subsidy will be passed through to eligible employees regardless of whether they previously earned more or less than this amount.

Centrelink online services include claiming an entitlement to a payment, updating details, getting reminders and reporting your income. You can also subscribe so that you only receive letters from Centrelink online, which can help with keeping your details private and only accessible by you.

Centrelink also supports people affected by family and domestic violence by providing specific information, resources and referrals.

A complete list of all the things you can do with your online account is found on the Centrelink website.

In order to create a Centrelink online account you need to:

  1. Register online with Centrelink to receive a Customer Reference Number (CRN)
  2. Create a myGov account if you do not already have one.
  3. Using your myGov account, create a Centrelink online account.

Registering with Centrelink


The procedure below is the normal process for registering with Centrelink.  Please see the alert box at the top of this page for the new streamlined process implemented in late March, 2020, to deal with high demand caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you have previously received a payment from Centrelink, you will already have a Customer Reference Number (CRN), which can be found on a letter that Centrelink has previously sent to you, or on your Health Care Card, if you have one.

If you have never received a payment from Centrelink, don't have a CRN or don't know your CRN, you will need to visit a service centre to get a CRN. See this list of locations of Centrelink Service Centres.

You will need to bring certain original documents to confirm your identity. See these Examples of acceptable identification documents. If you do not have enough documents, let Centrelink know so that you can talk about other options.

Create a myGov account


MyGov is a way to access a range of government online services with one login and one password, including Centrelink, Child Support and Medicare.

To create a myGov account visit the myGov website, select the “Create an account” button and follow the steps. You will need to set up a username with an email address, and a password. You can also choose to access your account by either answering a series of secret questions, or receiving a text with a code to your mobile phone. You will need to select the option that is most appropriate to keep access to your account private. You may need to limit access to your mobile phone by other people if you choose to receive the access code by text message. When accessing online services, you will need to be wary of cookies or other prompts on your computer that may save usernames or passwords, especially if your computer is accessible by others, in order to keep your account private.

You can learn more in the guide page: Creating a myGov account.

Create a Centrelink online account


If you have received a Centrelink payment before, you may already have a CRN and access to an online account.

In order to create your online account, you will have to link Centrelink to your myGov account.  You will need:

  • your CRN;
  • access to identification documents that prove your identity to Centrelink (e.g. a bank account statement that Centrelink has deposited money to, driver's licence or passport you have provided to Centrelink previously or a letter you have received from Centrelink);
  • to set an online account password and secret questions. Make sure that your password and secret questions are only answerable by you.

To link Centrelink to myGov:

  1. Sign in to your myGov account and select Services, then select Centrelink.
  2. Follow the steps to link your Centrelink member service to myGov.  If you do not already have a Centrelink account, choose the ‘I do not have an online account with Centrelink' option.

Learn more on how to link Centrelink to myGov.

You may also choose to register for Phone Self-Service by agreeing to the terms and setting a PIN.

Read more about how to register for a Centrelink Online Account.

Once registered, you will receive a Customer Access Number (CAN) – a number you need to access all Centrelink online services. You will need to keep a record of your CAN.

You can use your CAN to access your Centrelink account through Centrelink's Self Service Centre, including via their Express Plus Lite mobile app. You can provide documents to Centrelink through the app by taking a photo with your phone and uploading to the app. This can make reporting to Centrelink quicker and easier and your interactions with Centrelink more private.

Centrelink online and mobile app is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Was this article helpful?

Your Toolkit helps women and their families facing financial or other domestic abuse become empowered through increased skills and knowledge.


4 Steps to
Financial Freedom

Thank you to our Supporters

Supported by the Department of Communities

The contents of this website is general in nature and for reference purposes only. It does not constitute financial advice and should not be relied upon as such. Specific financial advice about your specific circumstances should always be sought separately before taking any action based on the information we have provided. While we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representation or warranties of any kind about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the information, products or services. Even though we are able to provide links to other website, we have no control over the nature, veracity of content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement.